Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - eBook readers eBook readers

Topic: Kindle Lending

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
darkangel avatar
Printable Postage medal
Subject: Kindle Lending
Date Posted: 5/24/2013 3:51 AM ET

This is a place for Kindle users to lend and borrow books.   Please read the few rules listed below.

• DO NOT email ebook files!! This is for the lendable books from Amazon only.  Lendable books can be loaned once for a period of 14 days.
  • You can NOT ask for credits for these books!
  • Don’t  post your email address in this thead.  To borrow a book PM the member with the book title and the email address to send too.

darkangel avatar
Printable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/24/2013 3:51 AM ET

Shelf/List Quick Links

1. Lacie A. (darkangel)~~> Kindle Books
  2. Sherri H. (mamadoodle) ~~> List Post
  3. Nancy W. (NancyW) ~~> List Post
  4. Leslie (hugbandit7) ~~> Goodreads link
  5. Jolene O. (esmestohelit)~~>  Goodreads link 
  6. Janet G. (jbooks) ~~>   jbooks lendable
  7. Angie B. (AngieMB)  ~~> Goodreads Link
  8. Melanie C. (melc)  ~~> melc lendables

Last Edited on: 8/6/13 9:59 PM ET - Total times edited: 10
mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 5/24/2013 12:03 PM ET

Last Edited on: 6/27/13 12:09 PM ET - Total times edited: 5
Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/25/2013 2:18 AM ET

Last Edited on: 6/22/14 4:54 PM ET - Total times edited: 5
jbooks avatar
Date Posted: 6/1/2013 12:00 PM ET

Well, this looks interesting:) I'll have to ponder, lol

DestinysAngel avatar
Date Posted: 6/1/2013 1:28 PM ET

Oh good to know :D

jbooks avatar
Date Posted: 6/1/2013 1:42 PM ET

LOL Christine:)

I would love to do this, just need to figure out how to simplify the process:D

DestinysAngel avatar
Date Posted: 6/1/2013 2:28 PM ET

very true! I really don't want to make lists and try to keep updasted. RL is too nuts right now for that :P

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/1/2013 2:39 PM ET

I will say this though... I had 3 of Lacie's and she had 3 of mine and we had no way to know that otherwise. Kindle doesn't let you keep a firends list like Nook does.

Last Edited on: 6/1/13 2:40 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
hugbandit7 avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 6/1/2013 10:52 PM ET

glad I found this thread....will have to figure out how to get my list into some sort of format...I have oodles of books.  I hate that you can only lend a book once!

darkangel avatar
Printable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/2/2013 10:46 AM ET

The easiest way I could figure out was to create a list on goodreads. Once I have all the books added it will be pretty simple to remove them as they get requested.

I do wish Amazon would do something like the Nook's friend list.  It would make things so much easier.

Last Edited on: 6/2/13 10:47 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
hugbandit7 avatar
Date Posted: 6/2/2013 11:00 AM ET

I wish Amazon would let you export into a spreadsheet!  oh and you have to look at each book to see if you can loan it too.  this will take some time!

I've started and have 29 120 books on there so far....have over 600 on my kindle list within Amazon

Goodreads link

Lacie - do you think it would be beneficial for those that are doing lists on Goodreads (or anywhere else) to put in the first post the name of the PBS member and the link to the list?  just a thought because if this got to be a very active thread it could be pages and pages of posts!  smiley

Last Edited on: 6/2/13 1:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 4
mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 6/7/2013 10:37 AM ET

Last Edited on: 6/11/13 11:07 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 6/11/2013 11:07 AM ET

Updated previous post

darkangel avatar
Printable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/17/2013 12:34 PM ET

Added more to my list yesterday and I'll be adding some more today.

hugbandit7 avatar
Date Posted: 6/17/2013 1:25 PM ET

I need to get back in and add more to my goodreads list....it is just so time consuming! 

darkangel avatar
Printable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/17/2013 3:48 PM ET

I need to get back in and add more to my goodreads list....it is just so time consuming! 

I know! I have over 500 Kindle books at the moment to sort through. I wish Amazon would put a search filter up so we could just show the lendables.

Lacie - do you think it would be beneficial for those that are doing lists on Goodreads (or anywhere else) to put in the first post the name of the PBS member and the link to the list? just a thought because if this got to be a very active thread it could be pages and pages of posts!  

Sorry, I just saw this. I'm still catching up. I've been down with my back the last 2 weeks and couldn't sit at the computer long enough to read through everything. :(

This is a great idea. :) Thanks.  I'll clear the 2nd post for links.    If anyone else thinks of anything that should be added or changed just let me know.

esmestohelit avatar
Date Posted: 6/18/2013 12:24 AM ET

Great thread idea, Lacie! Here is a list of a few I have available to lend. I'll add more when I have the time :)

Goodreads link

hugbandit7 avatar
Date Posted: 6/18/2013 3:14 PM ET

Lacie, I have over 600 on my kindle so I feel your pain! 

I lent a book to a friend and so wanted to check when she returned...and sure enough, cannot lend it anymore.  I don't like that feature of eBooks (or at least Amazon).  if we supposedly "own" the book, why can't we lend it to multiple friends like a paperback book?!

DuskyRose avatar
Date Posted: 6/18/2013 6:13 PM ET

if we supposedly "own" the book, why can't we lend it to multiple friends like a paperback book?!

Because they never wear out, and every single person you lend the book to could keep a copy forever.

eBooks aren't paper books, and they have different lifespans. I once read that the max life for a MMPB is six people/loans before enough damage is done that they'll start to fall apart. I had one tradeback that didn't even last through one reading and was brand new when I opened it to read it.

Theoretically, one eBook passed around from friend to friend would mean everyone in the world could eventually have a copy off of one sale. Just one.

So, yeah, Publishers/Authors are kinda freaked out about that.

I don't like that feature of eBooks (or at least Amazon)

Actually, IIRC, Amazon was the pioneer with lending. (B&N the only other book store to do so.) They were able to cajole/sweet talk their authors into letting people borrow books by paying the author double royalty on a lendable blook. Double. From their own pocket. So that each book they sold they were getting royalties for two.

So don't jump on Amazon, as this lendable thing is great for both them, readers and authors, and wouldn't exist if they hadn't worked for it and agreed to cover the second loan price.

hugbandit7 avatar
Date Posted: 6/18/2013 9:12 PM ET

I understand that they never wear out but to only be able to lend once is crazy....but this is also why I rarely purchase the e-books I have.  I get them for free or they are given to me by authors/publishers/etc.

and I don't mind the lending period, that means that while 1 copy could in essence be read by everyone in the world, it isn't likely but they can't keep a copy of the book.

I would just like to see it available to be lent more than once but I get why they won't.

esmestohelit avatar
Date Posted: 6/26/2013 8:53 PM ET

I added a bunch of books to my link. About half fall into the fantasy/horror/paranormal/sci fi genres. The other half is a mix of everything else :)

esmestohelit avatar
Date Posted: 7/21/2013 10:40 PM ET

Added more to my list

Cali avatar
Cali (Cali) -
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Subject: Looking to borrow...
Date Posted: 7/22/2013 8:34 PM ET

For Amazon Kindle users, you can go to your Kindle Library in Amazon under "Manage Your Kindle" under "Your Account." What I don't know is if there's a link you can give out for people to see your library. Would make things a lot easier. Anyone?

Please PM if you have this book to loan. Thank you! =)

Desire Wears Diamonds (Jaded Gentlemen)
Renee Bernard

darkangel avatar
Printable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/23/2013 2:49 AM ET

What I don't know is if there's a link you can give out for people to see your library. Would make things a lot easier. Anyone? 

No, there is no link. I didn't think about it but we could just create a public Amazon WL with our lendables and share that link. It would be much easier to manage than a GR list.

Page: