Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: missing book

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
punkeymonkey529 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: missing book
Date Posted: 5/28/2018 3:31 PM ET

hello,

big mystery here. i have a few books on the way too me, but 1 was shown as delivered. I even got confirmation through the usps, text message,and informed delivery. the issue is my mailbox was empty. completely empty. this was a few days ago when i was notified my package was here. after scratching my head for a bit I thought maybe it was put in my mom's box. (she lives in the same building as me, no but different apartment).it wasn't. they've been don't thst with letters too, and her number isn't that close to mine. other tenants have had similar mix-ups. so i went to the post office, the only thing they could do is bring it up with the supervisor about all the mix ups. also my packages sometimes have hot left on top of mailboxes without lock up, or missed parcel please pickup at post office slip. I left a note with the building manager, but who knows how long that will take.

what else can i do? the book had been on my WL for a while,I've never had a piece of mail,or package go missing for this long. especially since the PO marked it delivered. did they take it? has anyone else had this problem? how do I fix this?

sorry for such a long post.

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/28/2018 3:48 PM ET

If the PO confirmed that the package was delivered and you did not get it then your best option here is to allow the PBS system to let it 'go lost'. The extra days may also allow it to 'show up' if someone inadvertently picked it up or if it were misdelivered. I would PM the sender and tell them what's going on as you've explained here. Did they use DC? I know using informed delivery allows you to see things in transit even without using DC so they may or may not know the status of the package. Let them know you did NOT get it even though PO says delivered and you contacted the PO about it. Explain you are going to let it go lost in the system. That way you will go back on the top of the WL. If I were the sender I would appreciate learning what happened.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

From the help docs:

A book I requested is lost in the mail. What now?

If a book you requested does not arrive by the 26th day (the 35th day if the sender or requestor is outside the contiguous US) after it was marked mailed, it will be declared lost in the mail at PBS. The requestor does not mark the book Lost; the system does this. 

The requestor will get credit back, and the book will go onto the Wish List (if there are no available copies in the system) or the Reminder List (if there are other copies available to request).  If the book was a Wish List book when it was requested before, the requestor will go back to his or her previous place "in line" for the book.

What to do if a book is declared "lost" en route to you:

• Check with the sender about the mailing date (in case it got mailed late or there was a problem with mailing) -- you can use the PM button on the transaction in your Transaction Archive to send the message
    • If the mailing was not delayed, the sender should call 800-ASK-USPS or go to http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MLNtRcvd.aspx (the Postal Inspection Service's website) and input the information online there . This will help USPS try to recover the book if it truly has been lost in the mail.
  • Don't re-request the book for at least 2 weeks, unless you are willing to run the risk of getting two copies (and paying a credit for both). Members outside the contiguous US should wait longer, depending on their typical transit times.
    • If this is a Wish List book, you should put the Wish on hold while you are waiting, so you don't end up with 2 copie of the book.
  • If you do end up getting 2 copies of the book because you re-ordered within 2 weeks after it went "lost"
    • You must mark both copies received - Mark the "lost" book received from your Transaction Archive as described in I received a book that was 'lost in the mail'
    • The only exception to this is the situation when the "lost" book was actually mailed very late without notice from the sender - if this is the situation AND the requestor has re-requested and gotten a second copy, the requestor does not have to mark the late-mailed book as received.

If you are having a lot of books declared "Lost" en route to you:

• You should investigate this.  Excessive unreceived books may jeopardize your membership.
    • Numerous books sent separately but not arriving at your address implies that something is wrong with your mail delivery.
    • Requestors are responsible for providing correct, dependable mailing information to senders.
  • Check your address in your Account Settings, to be sure that it is correct.
  • You can send a PM to the sender of any or all of the lost books, to ask if the book was mailed late, by any chance, as described above.
  • Talk to your PO and mail carrier to see if the book might have been misdelivered to a neighbor.
  • Consider using a PO box or alternate (ie, work) address until the matter is sorted out.
punkeymonkey529 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/28/2018 3:52 PM ET

thank you, I did mention to the sender the issue. pretty sure DC was used. 

I hope between the post office,and building manager they can help find it. 

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/28/2018 4:00 PM ET

It sounds like your book was misdelivered. Did you file a complaint on usps.com? Then you can ask them to look at GPS location from the scan although it sounds like you it may have been put in a neighbor's box.

I hope whoever received your books puts it back in mail circulation so you get it soon.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 5/29/2018 9:07 AM ET

Sounds to me that it's just as likely the book was 'taken' as misdelivered, especially if PO tends to leave them on top of mailbox or otherwise unsecured.