Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: What are you reading in March?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Subject: What are you reading in March?
Date Posted: 3/3/2018 11:57 AM ET

How did this happen?  I just finished up the latest Flavia book, The Grave's  a Fine and Private Place by Alan Bradley.  It's much better than the previous book and I would say the series is hopefully back to normal again.

MichiganderHolly avatar
Date Posted: 3/3/2018 9:09 PM ET

I've been slogging through the 4th and 5th books in the Song of Ice and Fire series but am tossing that aside for the moment to read The Childbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan for book club.  

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/5/2018 5:06 PM ET

I'm reading Sharpe's Battle by Bernard Cornwell. Captain Richard Sharpe is placed in command of a company of Irish expatriates who were the Royal Guards of the king of Spain. Wellington and Major Hogan are always coming up with their extraordinary assignments for Sharpe because he knows that, although Sharpe is a rogue as an officer, he has the ability to get things done. Of course, since Wellington and Hogan don't share all their information with Sharpe, he winds up doing something they didn't want him to do and lands himself in hot water ... as usual.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/6/2018 7:53 AM ET

I am reading one of my favorite Historical Mystery series, book 8 Law and Conflict by Cora Harrison   Takes place 1517 Galway, Ireland. Intersting comparing English justice system and Brehon law. Excellent series.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/9/2018 2:24 PM ET

Reading The Ghost of Hannah Mendes by Naomi Ragan.

VickyJo avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/11/2018 5:02 PM ET

I read "The Bear and the Nightengale" and its sequel "The Girl in the Tower" by Katherine Arden.  I really enjoyed these two.  Russian fairy tale setting, magical realism, the works.  I loved them! 

I'm now back with Sir John Fielding in the 8th mystery in that series, "Smuggler's Moon."  Okay, so my question is:  Is a Smuggler's Moon full (for good visibility) or is it a new moon (for secrecy)?  I'll let you know...ha, ha!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/12/2018 11:33 AM ET

Finished the Mendes book and loved it.  If you like romance this one is for you.  Also traces what the family went through as the Jewish people were persecuted from country to country.  I liked it very much.  Now finishing an old science fiction book, Childhood's End  by Arthur Clark, a writer I have long enjoyed.  He had such a fruitful imagination!

Last Edited on: 3/12/18 11:33 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2018 11:19 AM ET

I've started reading The Cup of Ghosts by Paul Doherty; very good so far.

SierraK avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/15/2018 9:30 PM ET

Last night I finished up the Historical Mystery "Whispers of Evil" by Jessica Estevao.  Again, we travel to the coast of Maine in 1896 where our MC Ruby Proulx helps sove another murder. This story features a suffragette march, very good background on the suffrage movement. I 'm enjoying this series a lot, hope there will be another one soon!

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/16/2018 6:25 AM ET

I just finished Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton. It was excellent. Set in 1959 Cuba and present day. Great background on their revolution. Story pulls you right in. Highly recommend.

VickyJo avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/17/2018 5:40 PM ET

I finished "Smuggler's Moon" (it's a full moon, btw) and will start #9 in the series, "An Experiment inTreason."  I'm really loving this series; it's so hard to find a series where each novel is consistently good.  I'm sad there are only a couple left!

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 3/18/2018 11:52 AM ET

I started Leaving Everything Most Loved by Jacqueline Winspear, another Maisie Dobbs novel.  I do love those books!

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/19/2018 11:20 AM ET

Alphabet House by Jussi Adler-Olsen is very interesting. In 1944 two RAF pilots are flying a low-level recon mission near Dresden when their plane goes down. Chased by German patrols, they manage to jump aboard a hospital train, where they take the place of a couple patients. They're safe for a while, but it's a mixed blessing because they end up in the mental ward of a German military hospital filled with SS officers. How will they escape? Will they escape? This was my book for the Lock Him Up category of the historical fiction challenge.

susank17 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/19/2018 8:22 PM ET

I read Last Christmas in Paris by Hazel Gaynor & Heather Webb.  Epistolary novel set in WWI.  A little romance, a little history.  Very pleasant.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 3/21/2018 6:02 PM ET

Not h/f but rather fantasy that I'm reading now...Uprooted by Naomi Novik.  Wonderful!!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/22/2018 5:36 PM ET

Ah Cheryl, I truly enjoy the writings of Naomi Novik but this is one I haven't yet read.   Another for my TBR.

I'm beginning another Eliot Pattison novel titled Original Death.  It's a series I so enjoy.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2018 9:08 PM ET

I loved her Temeraire novels, but this one is a stand alone.  It is excellent, going to be one of my best reads of the year I think.

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2018 9:40 PM ET

Cheryl - I recall that you're interested the Shakespeare authorship question. I'm watching a 3-part series on YouTube called Cracking the Shakespeare Code. You might find it of interest.

Currently reading Rampart Street, 3rd in the Valentin St. Cyr series by David Fulmer. St. Cyr is a former policeman and now private detective in early 1900s New Orleans. The books are an interesting insight into the dark world of jazz, prostitution, drugs and crime centered on the Storyville District. St. Cyr is surrounded by real life historical figures like political boss Tom Anderson, jazz cornetist Buddy Bolden, photographer E.J. Bellocq, and various Basin Street madames. It's best to start at the beginning of the series with Chasing the Devil's Tail and then Jass (jazz). This is my choice for the Riddles Everywhere category of the historical fiction challenge.

Last Edited on: 3/22/18 9:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2018 11:31 PM ET

Thanks Mary, yes I am always interested in anything about the Bard!

KarenLS avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/23/2018 11:02 PM ET

Three Sisters, Three Queens. Phillips Gregory.    Find myself slowing down as I’m nearly 3/4 done. I need to pull out her others and go on a binge. I love her books!