Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Books lost in mail 2: same book never arrived, twice!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Books lost in mail 2: same book never arrived, twice!
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 8:28 AM ET

This is a little odd.  I requested a hardcover a few months ago, a Jennifer Crusie/Bob Mayer.  Never arrived, lost in the mail.  OK

I decided to try again...........................yes, lost in the mail again!  I was horrified.  It's not my fault, but I just can't request the book again, although they are there, available, I SEE them.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?  Just how many books can go 'lost' before you are concidered a hazard? 

I want to go beat up the mailman! Order your own books!!! (just kidding, relax people, and mailpersons)

shay2484 avatar
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 8:38 AM ET

So because of these two lost books you can't order the book again? Did you get your credits back?

That stinks:-( sorry to hear that!  that does seem a bit strange though, two books going missing that were the same...

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 8:41 AM ET

shay2484 (Shayla C.)
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 8:38 AM ET

So because of these two lost books you can't order the book again? Did you get your credits back?

No, I just chose not to order again, because I'm afraid to loose another book.  I did get my credits back.

Last Edited on: 4/28/08 8:42 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 9:40 AM ET

I think they consider the percentage of books that go lost before you're considered a "hazard." So if you've only ordered 10 books and 2 have gone lost, you might be considered 'suspect' already. But if you've ordered 200 and only 2 have gone lost, probably not on the ten most wanted list yet. :o)

Just out of curiosity, the book wasn't sent by the same member, was it? I had a book on my WL one time that was sent (by someone just a few miles from me, actually) and it went lost. No biggie, it happens. I went back to #1 on the Wish List. A couple weeks later, it's posted again. Yay! Until about 2 weeks went by and I check the details--lo and behold, it was supposedly being sent to me by the same person it went lost from the FIRST time! How odd is that? So I waited til 3 weeks had gone by, PM'd the person, no answer...so I alerted the powers that be and said, hey...what's up with this!? Well, they must have had other complaints about the person, because they cancelled the transaction immediately, I got my credit back and went to #1 on the WL (again!) and she is no longer a member. And yes, I did eventually get the book. So I'd be inclined to say "go for it" because the third time is obviously the charm! LOL

Cheryl

Last Edited on: 4/28/08 9:41 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 10:02 AM ET

That happened to me once.  I did get it on the third try and ended up hating the book.  Maybe it's a sign, lol!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 12:15 PM ET

I did take it as a sign.  I feel too guilty about the books to order another.  They were from different members  It was for my own collection, I had read it already so I know it would be a keeper.  sigh, I'll wait till it shows up at library sales.........should happen pretty soon now.

I've been a member for a couple of years now and have had almost 600 transactions so I guess I'm at an acceptable risk level.

Jenny avatar
Jenny (Jenny) - ,
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 3:30 PM ET

Sounds like bad luck to me. After 600 transactions, you're due for some weirdness!

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 8:16 PM ET

Were either of them coming from an FPO/APO, Hawaii or Alaska? Sometimes books take longer going to or from these places.  I would go into my transaction archive and see if these people are still active.  Also people have posted on here about receiving books that had gone lost months before.

michelleanddavid avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 10:41 PM ET

A little after I first joined I had this happen to me. I ordered it a third time and got it. Third time's a charm.

candieb avatar
Date Posted: 4/28/2008 10:59 PM ET

Not from this site, but I once got a book a YEAR after it was mailed to me... per the postmark even... came with a little "sorry we suck" letter from the PO. Weirdness.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/29/2008 7:55 AM ET

Another reason I didn't order again................one of these could actually arrive.