Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Help! I need some recs for heroes suffering mental anguish

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Help! I need some recs for heroes suffering mental anguish
Date Posted: 11/26/2008 9:17 AM ET

I am such a sucker for the heroes who've gone through hell and are suffering from wrongs they've perceived they've done. I'm even more a sucker for those heroes that are kind of unstable (not mean or anything to others but suffering from self-doubts and nightmares and all that good stuff) although they are trying desperately to overcome their fears and doubts and hold everything together . My favorite period is the Regency period although I like almost any historical period. As an example some of the heroes I've fallen in love with over the past year: Robert Carroway (England's Perfect Hero), James Trevanen (Beau Crusoe), and Benedict Nesbitt (One Good Turn).

Anyone have any suggestions?

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 11/26/2008 10:00 AM ET

Have you ever read anything by Laura Kinsale? I always liked that her heroes all had serious problems, though perhaps not all of the problems were mental. Its been quite some time since I read them.

Anne

romanceaddict avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2008 10:07 AM ET

I know I've read some recently....

I know that these two are carrying around a lot of guilt... The Dangerous Gentleman by Julia London & The Ruthless Charmer by Julia London

This one is contemporary, but the hero suffers from PTST, Freefall by JoAnn Ross

AngieMB avatar
Date Posted: 11/26/2008 12:06 PM ET

I just finished "Lord of Ice" by Gaelen Foley, and her hero fits this description.  He still has lots of problems left over from the war.  It's the 3rd book in a series.  I can't remember if the book right before this one "Lord of Fire" would fit in this category as well.  It's been so long since I read it, but it's a good book, too.  Those are the only 2 in the series that I've read so far.

redmama87 avatar
Date Posted: 11/26/2008 12:09 PM ET

It is a WL book but To Seduce a Sinner by Elizabeth Hoyt has a heroe that has nightmares and can't sleep in a bed and suffers from war PTSD. I also like the fact that he doesn't magically overcome it  after suffering through it for years

Last Edited on: 11/26/08 12:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rubberducky avatar
Date Posted: 11/26/2008 12:46 PM ET

Oh, Ditto on James from Beau Crusoe by Carla Kelly.  He's one of the most haunted, tortured heroes I've ever read about.  I just love him:P  Dain from Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, Bk 3) is, and will probably always be, my favorite self-doubting neurotic hero:P  In medievals, my fav tortured heroes are Ruck from For My Ladys Heart by Laura Kinsale, Griffyn from The Last Arrow by Marsha Canham, and Sebastian from Karen Ranney's My Beloved (Loved, Bk 1).

romanceaddict avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2008 3:19 PM ET

Oh, I just thought of another one: To Rescue A Rogue Author: Jo Beverley (Hero is addicted to opium) I loved this book, it was the best of the series.

Motleigh avatar
Date Posted: 11/26/2008 9:27 PM ET

He said now by Patricia Wadell. it is part of a series. He said yes, He said No, and he said Never are the others. The hero suffers from PTSD

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 11/27/2008 1:38 PM ET

I just finished a good one - His Secondhand Wife by Cheryl St John.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/28/2008 5:36 PM ET

I read a book called Echoes In The Mist awhile back that had a hero who thought he was going crazy.  It was a historical, can't remember the author.

Also most of the heroe's in Christine Feehan'sDark series books are on the verge of going off the deepend.  It has to do with finding "lifemates" before they go insane (turn vampire). 

Worth Any Price by Lisa Kleypas.  Very good regency.  Hero had a very traumatic childhood and has nightmares and issues from that.

Last Edited on: 11/28/08 5:38 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/28/2008 9:25 PM ET

Thanks for all the recs! I'm adding them to my list.