Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: 2010 HF Holiday Fun -- Most Wanted Lists

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
bookzealot avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: 2010 HF Holiday Fun -- Most Wanted Lists
Date Posted: 10/31/2010 11:38 AM ET

Use this thread to post the list of books that you most want from your 2010 HF Secret Santa. Try to include a wide range of choices (between 5 and 15 books). Remember, don't include books that are likely to get posted to you within the next couple of months. You can also tell us about yourself, how you spend the holidays, or whatever.

Edited to add list of Secret Santas/Secret Buddies here:

Last Edited on: 11/14/10 11:23 PM ET - Total times edited: 6
lilynlilac avatar
Date Posted: 10/31/2010 2:55 PM ET

Hello HFers! I don't celebrate the religious aspect of the holidays but I celebrate the season.  I love snow! (I used to live in NE Minnesota.)  I like anything snowmen, holiday lights, holiday-ish movies, the scent of pine/balsam, hot cider/cocoa/tea, cookies out of the oven, the smell of woodsmoke, snowball fights, curling up in my soft fluffy robe under an afghan reading a good book, etc.  I'm one of those weirdos that prefers the colder temps (too hot here in Mo in the summer) as I love to wear sweaters, soft flannel jammies, and fleecy socks. I am single, live alone, but since my mom has retired she usually flies down for a month in the winter around the holidays.

On to my list, pb or hc, I'm not picky:

Arthur and the Lost Kingdoms :: Alistair Moffat

The Anglo-Saxon Age: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) :: John Blair

Before Scotland: The Story of Scotland Before History :: Alistair Moffat

Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine :: Alison Weir

Charlemagne :: Derek Wilson

Charlotte & Leopold: The True Story of the Original People's Princess :: James Chambers

Cleopatra's Daughter :: Michelle Moran

Daughters of the Grail :: Elizabeth Chadwick

The Distant Hours :: Kate Morton

For the King's Favor :: Elizabeth Chadwick

Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon :: Buzz Aldrin

A Murderous Procession (Mistress of the Art of Death, Bk 4) :: Ariana Franklin

The Sisters Who Would Be Queen: Mary, Katherine, and Lady Jane Grey: A Tudor Tragedy :: Leanda De Lisle

The Time of Singing :: Elizabeth Chadwick

To Defy a King :: Elizabeth Chadwick

Last Edited on: 11/13/10 8:13 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
MichiganderHolly avatar
Date Posted: 10/31/2010 5:43 PM ET

Hello!  We celebrate Christmas up here in the arctic tundra also known as Michigan.  Normally since we are here and the rest of the family lives in NY we end up flip flopping and going to NY every other year.  This year we're home.  We is me, my husband Chris, my 5 year old Urchin Collin our cat Gilbert and lab Sparky.  I'm not picky about wrapping paper-religious, snowmen, the left over Harry Potter paper from your kid's last birthday, its all good to me :)

Things I am obsessed with (besides books): lilac/lavender scent, pretty stationery, soft fabrics and consuming large quantities of Starbucks (anything but their regular coffee and making myself hot chocolate with the Swiss Miss/Ghirardelli/Godiva powdered mixes.  In the evenings you will find me sitting in bed reading tucked in my super soft blanket with a hot chocolate on my nightstand and my foot warmer cat on my feet.

Here is my list of wishes.  I don't mind hardover but prefer paperbacks because they take less shelf space :)

The Dark Rose (Morland Dynasty Bk 2) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

The Princeling (Morland Dynasty Bk 3) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

The Children's Book by A.S Byatt

The Falcons of Montabard by Elizabeth Chadwick

The Love Knot by Elizabeth Chadwick

The Marsh King's Daughter by Elizabeth Chadwick

Madame du Barry by Jean Plaidy

Arabella by Georgette Heyer

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

The Countess and the King by Susan Holloway Scott

The Kingmaking (Pendragons Banner Bk 1) by Helen Hollick

Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Bk 2) by Helen Hollick

Shadow of the King (Pendragon's Banner Bk 3) by Helen Hollick

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2010 10:34 AM ET

Here is my list hardcover or paperback is fine.  I look at people's list and keep adding to my WL....  Anything from my WL is fine too. We celebrate Christmas nothing fancy. I share presents with my 5 cats and one dog. I love to read curled up in my favorite chair with a cat a nice cup of tea.

To Defy a KingAuthor: Elizabeth Chadwick

The ConquestAuthor: Elizabeth Chadwick

The Coral Thief:: Rebecca Stott

The Eagle and the Raven:: Pauline Gedge

The King James Conspiracy:: Phillip DePoy

Odinn's Child (Viking Trilogy):: Tim Severin

Seer of Egypt:: Pauline Gedge

For the King :: Catherine Delors

Galway Bay :: Mary Pat Kelly

Great Catherine : The Life of Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia :: Carolly Erickson

Last Edited on: 11/11/10 9:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
flchris avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2010 10:37 AM ET

I love Christmas!  We celebrate a traditional, Christian Christmas.  I am kinda particular about my Christmas decorations.   I have a color scheme and have collected ornaments over the years that are natural wood tones, gold, white, and deep red.    I really hate tree decorations that don't match my color scheme.  When the kids were young, if their little hand-made macaroni ornaments didn't match my scheme, they didn't go on my tree!  They had their own tree in the playroom that they could decorate however they liked.  I'm sure they were scarred for life, but so be it.

We've had several holiday traditions over the years, mostly religious-themed.  I collect nativity scenes and have several, but my favorite is the one DH and I bought half price at Sears the day after our first married Christmas.  It has a stable with moss glued on the top and the floors, and a dozen or so ceramic figurines.  The baby Jesus is permenantly attached to the manger and when my DD was about 4, she pulled him out of the box and said, "Look, Mommy! It's Baby Jesus in his car seat!"  LOL!  She also hit one of the wise men on the fireplace bricks and his head popped off.  It is glued back together with superglue that has held up lo these 15+ years.  When DS came along, he decided that we really didn't need all that moss stuck to the top so he pulled it all off!  Now there is a very attractive glue-strip across the top with no moss on it.  I love it and get misty-eyed every year when I take it out of the box.

I'll work on fluffing out my book list over the next few days, but in addition to books, I love Starbucks, Lifeway stores, ....umm..what else?....Oh!  Bookmarks!  Especially the rectangular ones about the size of a credit card or business card.  I always use bookmarks when I read.   When I start to read, I stick it in a random section of the front of the book.  And guess what happens when I finish a book?  Yep...I slap it closed and forget all about the book mark.  Probably half of the books I send out have a forgotten book mark in the front of them. They are mostly Christian-themed, so if you ever get a book from me with a book mark in it, please don't get offended. I'm not proselytizing...I just forgot it was there!  I've actually gotten PM's thanking me for the nice bookmark that I "included" in their package.  LOL!  Anyway....I buy several every time I go to Lifeway, but I'm always running out.

BOOK LIST (I prefer paperbacks because they are cheaper to mail and I rarely keep a book, but I'm not picky about binding or covers.  Used is fine, but I do like to have the dust jacket if it is a hardcover)

Martyr by Rory Clements

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by CW Gortner

The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick

A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick

The Time of Singing :: Elizabeth Chadwick OR For the King's Favor :: Elizabeth Chadwick

To Defy a King :: Elizabeth Chadwick

Cleopatra's Daughter :: Michelle Moran

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

The Adventures of Alianore Audley, Brian Wainwright

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Last Edited on: 11/9/10 10:26 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2010 11:06 AM ET

Oooh, this is going to be fun!  Here in the smack dab of Minnesota, we get plenty of snow and cold and all sorts of nasty-ness in December.  Christmas is a bright spot in the dreary season of winter (I despise cold weather)!  Although I consider myself to have my own hybrid mix of spirituality drawn from many concepts and religions, I was raised a Lutheran Christian, so we celebrate Christmas in the traditional senses.  I certainly don't expect anything other than a book, but I'll post some of my likes just in case. 

In addition to reading historical fiction (is there any other kind of reading???), my main hobby is hoopdancing. So I like anything that has anything with a hula hoop on it or anything related to hooping.   I also enjoy all forms of physical fitness, especially dance cardio, fusion (yoga/Pilates/barre) workouts and straight up yoga. 

As I age, I am finally finding my own style - I love Bohemian, pixie-ish, gypsy-ish styles of clothing and home decor items, so I love fun scarves, funky jewelry, things with an Indian or Middle Eastern influence or anything really along those lines.  I'm not sensitive or picky, and love stuff from Target, Walmart, etc. 

I adore candles and burn them constantly!  Tea lights and jar candles are my favorites, and I'm generally open to all scents although I prefer cleaner, fresher and somewhat eclectic scents (herbals, softer florals, fruity, light spices, unexpected blends of fragrances (lemon & basil or chocolate & cinnamon, stuff like that), etc.) and avoid really strong scents like gardenia, rose, heavy spices or anything really cloying.  I also love perfumed lotions, body oils, shower gels, etc., and  the same scents apply. 

Although I generally try to eat healty, I have a weakness for good chocolate! 

As for books, check out my wishlist.  I'll take anything!  However, I'll post a few that I'm wanting a bit more than others here.  Also, I'll take books that YOU pick out - If you have a favorite book you'd like to share or any that fit any of the categories for the 2011 HF Challenges (I'm going to try to do all 4), I'd love them!  Surprise me!

Dawn on a Distant Shore, Sara Donati - http://www.paperbackswap.com/Dawn-Distant-Shore-Sara-Donati/book/0553578553/

A Place Beyond Courage, Elizabeth Chadwick - http://www.paperbackswap.com/Place-Beyond-Courage-Elizabeth-Chadwick/book/0751539015/

To Defy a King, Elizabeth Chadwick - http://www.paperbackswap.com/Defy-King-Elizabeth-Chadwick/book/1847442366/

Daughters of the Grail, Elizabeth Chadwick - http://www.paperbackswap.com/Daughters-Grail-Elizabeth-Chadwick/book/0345388402/

The Firey Cross, Diana Gabaldon - http://www.paperbackswap.com/Fiery-Cross-Outlander-Diana-Gabaldon/book/0099710013/

The Adventures of Alianore Audley, Brian Wainwright - http://www.paperbackswap.com/Adventures-Alianore-Audley-Brian-Wainwright/book/1904492789/

Within the Fetterlock, Brian Wainwright - http://www.paperbackswap.com/Fetterlock-Brian-Wainwright/book/0972209115/

The Bones of Avalon, Phil Rickman - http://www.paperbackswap.com/Bones-Avalon-Phil-Rickman/book/1848872704/

The Devil's Queen, Jeanne Kalogridis - http://www.paperbackswap.com/Devils-Queen-Jeanne-Kalogridis/book/0312368437/

Last Edited on: 11/2/10 1:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2010 7:52 PM ET

Our family celebrates a traditional Christmas with lots of outdoor decorations and lights that my husband artistically finesses each year.  I handle the interior decorations and we have lots of treasured ornaments and keepsakes that we have collected over all the years we have been married.  It takes me about 1 week to 10 days to completely  "do the house" as I also clean as I go.  Heaven forbid we put something on a dusty surface (my mother  brainwashed  trained me well)!

As far as my most desired books go...anything on my wishlist is fine and yes, used books are perfectly acceptable.  I would especially love any of the "Roger the Chapman" mysteries by Kate Sedley that I have listed as they are a little hard to find and the chances of them showing up at PBS are rather slim.

I also love chocolate of any sort, especially dark!

Wicked Winter

Wheel of Fate

The Three Kings of Cologne

The Saint John's Fern

The Prodigal Son

Nine Men Dancing

The Midsummer Rose

The Lammas Feast

The Green Man

The Goldsmith's Daughter

Eve of Saint Hyacinth

The Dance of Death

The Burgundian's Tale

All of the above books are by Kate Sedley

Last Edited on: 11/5/10 10:57 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
blubonnet1 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/2/2010 1:27 PM ET

Hello Everybody!  I am so glad Deb was gracious enought to host this year.  Thanks again Deb!

We celebrate a traditional Christmas with all the decorations and a big family Christmas dinner.  My DH usually makes something absolutely to die for.  Last year he made a mushroom stuffed filet mignon roast.  Melt in your month yummy. 

I am a lover of reading, card making and scrapbooking.  My current reading fixation is on English Royal Historical Fiction. I sometimes feel myself back in time as one of the key players in whatever book I am reading.  lol

I have made my most wanted list.  I also included a couple of non historical fiction, I hope that was okay.  It does not matter used or new nor paperback or hardcover, with 1 EXCEPTION.   I am collecting The Outlander series and the ones I have so far are hardcover so I would like that to be hardcover also so it looks great on my shelves.  I will probably update the list in the next few days.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Wanted/list/3332/

Last Edited on: 11/8/10 10:14 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
I-F-Letty avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/2/2010 2:21 PM ET

We celebrate a traditional Christmas and I love folk art and Victoriana.  Here is my most wanted list.

Pirates Code ,      Helen Hollick

The Vizards's MaskDiana Norman

Serpent In The Thorns,   Jeri Westerson

Thrones Of Jade,  Naomi Novik

Insurrection,   Robyn Young

The First Tycoon,   T.J. Stiles

Royal Babylon,  Karl Shaw

In Triumph Wake, or  Born To Rule,   Julia P. Gilardi

A Corpse in St Andrews Chapel,     Melvin Starr

Last Edited on: 11/11/10 11:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Tanzanite avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2010 10:46 AM ET

We've always celebrated Christmas the traditional way and this will probably be the first year that we are not "home" for Christmas.  With our anniversary trip last month, my husband and I both out of vacation days and since we have our dog, it's just too expensive to fly and not enough time to drive.  I keep telling myself that I don't mind, but in my heart, I"m not sure.  Anyway, here's my list:

new/used - hardback/paperback - any is fine!

The Scarlet Contessa by Jeanne Kalogridis

Elizabeth's Women (NF) - Tracy Borman

The People's Queen - Vanora Bennett

The Lady Queen (NF) - Nancy Goldstone

Harlot Queen - Hilda Lewis

I, Jacqueline - Hilda Lewis

Martyr - Rory Clements

Insurrection - Robyn Young

bookzealot avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2010 4:40 PM ET

I also included a couple of non historical fiction, I hope that was okay. 

YES! You may include on your most-wanted list titles other than historical fiction.

Last Edited on: 11/5/10 8:17 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/4/2010 3:59 PM ET

We celebrate a pretty traditional Christmas: turkey dinner; any family members who can make it to join us; nativity scene; Santa Claus etc. As I get older however, I find myself cutting back on how much decorating I do!

As for books that I would like, I looked at my WL and noticed that since I pared it down, I have a lot of mysteries and books that aren't going to be released for quite a while, so, I will list some that may be easier to find. HC or PB - it doesn't matter. anything from my WL is fine; condition doesn't matter. Some books on my WL are on hold b/c I'm close to having them posted to me (with the exception of the Simon Scarrow book).

1.The Bones of Avalon by Phil Rickman

2. The Skin Map by Stephen R Lawhead

3. The Storm by Margriet De Moor

4. Sea Witch by Helen Hollick

5. Prince of Darkness By SKP  (not actually on my WL)

6. Hodd by Adam Thorpe

7. The Long Ships by Frans Gunnar Bengtsson

8. Night of Flames by Douglas W Jacobson

9. The Demon's Parchment by Jeri Westerson

10 Any book by Deon Meyer  (except Dead Before Dying)

11. When the Eagle Hunts by Simon Scarrow

12. Jadwiga's Crossing by Richard J Lutz

These are not in any particular order and anything on my WL is fine. I didn't include some of the HF on my WL at present b/c I am pretty close to seeing them posted - hopefully. Thanks in advance to the person who will be my secret Santa!

Last Edited on: 11/12/10 9:20 AM ET - Total times edited: 4
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/4/2010 11:49 PM ET

My husband and I usually host a traditional Christmas with my in-laws.  (My family is big on Thanksgiving, but not Christmas, so that works out for us.)  It's getting harder for my father-in-law to travel, so I'm not sure how much longer that will last.  If not, we'll probably go there.  Besides good books, I love gourmet chocolate, gourmet coffee, and scented candles (is there ANY woman that doesn't like scented candles, I wonder? :)

Some of my most wanted are only available in hardcover, but as a rule, I don't care whether it's hard cover or soft, used or new.  My most wanted books are:

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Last Edited on: 11/9/10 1:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 5
VickyJo avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/5/2010 9:50 AM ET

For as long as I can remember, our Christmas celebrations always involved birthday parties as well; my brother on the 15th, and me on the 21st.  Now that I have my own family, and live far away from my folks and brothers up in Michigan...we still do the birthday thing, as my dh was born on the 27th and my dd on Jan. 4th.  This means lots of desserts.  However, you won't see any diet books on my Most Wanted list!  wink

Our Christmas is always fun.  I love to decorate, and bake cookies.  Our tradition is: Christmas morning breakfast is hot chocolate and sugar cookies.  Then we celebrate our version of Festivus.  We each bring a movie that the others have not seen, but that we feel will make them a better person in the long run.  It's a hoot!  I made everyone watch Harold and Maude last year.  The girls LOVED it, and my dh said, "Hmm.  This explains a lot."  I'm not sure what I'm pushing this year.  Maybe Resurrection, with Ellen Burstyn for this year's viewing pleasure.

The past few years, having two daughters in college, my dh and I were up long before the girls were. LOL...and he really misses no little ones to come running into the room and sliding on their knees up to the tree, saying "Wow!"  We are ready for grandkids!

My list, in no particular order:  (hardcover, paperback, new/used...whatever!)

Ashes of Britannia by Elizabeth Garwood Hailey

Zenobia, by Elizabeth Garwood Hailey

Boudica, by Vanessa Collingridge

The Winter Mantle, by Elizabeth Chadwick

Veil of Lies, by Jeri Westerson

The Afghan Campaign, by Steven Pressfield

Gracelin O'Malley, by Ann Moore

Cleopatra's Daughter, by Andrea Ashton

I need one more Robin Hood for my 4th challenge, so:

Outlaw, by Angus Donald

Hodd, by Adam Thorpe

Last Edited on: 11/5/10 12:28 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: wish list
Date Posted: 11/5/2010 9:41 PM ET

I celebrate a very traditional Christmas baking cookies and decorating the house, big Christmas dinners, spending time with my family, midnight mass(I was raised Catholic) and everything else that goes along with this wonderful holiday!

I?m not usually a historic fiction reader?.but I was looking for a new genre of books to start reading and happened to stumble upon the gift exchange posts, and thought it seemed like a lot of fun (I love shopping for people) and I can?t wait to start reading some of the books on my wish list.

I love curling up in bed reading a good book and drinking a glass of hot coco or the occasional glass of Moscato.

So heres my wishlist:

Cleopatra's Daughter- Michelle Moran

Charlotte & Leopold: The true story of the original peoples princess - James Chamber

The last Queen - C.W. Gortner

Daughters of the Grail - Elizabeth Chadwick

For the King's Favor - Elizabeth Chadwick

The Green Coat: A talk from the dust bowl years - Rosemary McDunn

The Distant Hours - Kate Morton

Cleopatra: A life story - Stacy Schiff

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/5/2010 10:03 PM ET

Oooh, Crystal.  Not usually an HF reader???   Hmmm, we'll suck you in!  devil Welcome!

notyourstar avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/7/2010 4:32 PM ET

We celebrate a pretty traditional Christmas, usually spending Christmas Eve with my family and Christmas Day with my fiance's family. I love winter time because it means I can light all my candles and curl up in a blanket on the couch with a cup of tea and a book.

Along with books I love candles, chocolate, bookmarks and anything Disney. Both me and my fiance LOVE Disneyland and we go at least once a year. I'm in my last year of school and will be doing my student teaching next fall.

As for my list, I prefer paperbacks because they're cheaper and cost less to ship but hardcovers would be just fine!

Devil's Brood - Sharon Kay Penman

A Place Beyond Courage - Elizabeth Chadwick

Lords of the White Castle - Elizabeth Chadwick

The Winter Mantle - Elizabeth Chadwick

Daughters of the Witching Hill - Mary Sharratt

Red Land Black Land - Barbara Mertz

The Traitor's Wife - Susan Higginbotham

Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks - John Curran

Last Edited on: 11/11/10 2:36 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
mepom avatar
Mary (mepom) -
Subject: List for Secret Santa
Date Posted: 11/8/2010 10:13 AM ET

My DH and I live in a condo, so we do not have much room for Christmas decorations. In the last few years, I have used my ceramic and fiber optic trees to decorate. My P. Grandmother was in a wheelchair and could only decorate with ceramic trees, so that is nostalgic for me. The 2 ceramic trees I use were made by a friend's Mother. My favorite is a white tree with bluebirds as the lights. She thought I was nuts when I ordered that one, but it is really beautiful. I also have a white fiber optic tree with changing light colors. Sounds a little cheesy, but my friends LOVE it. Reminds me of my M. Grandmother's aluminum tree with the revolving color wheel. Anyone remember those? Toss in some blooming Holiday plants and I am happy. I started this downsizing a few years ago when I had surgery before Christmas and could not decorate with a tall tree, etc.  It was so easy to put away that year, I have adopted that style.

I usually make my Homemade Eggnog with lots of NOG. It is very fattening, but everyone craves it. I want to wake up Christmas morning in my own bed, so I do not like to travel to in-law's house on Christmas Eve. They are not too happy about that, but I have to have my own tradition. We open presents on Christmas morning, except I usually save one to open Christmas night. DH thinks I am nuts,but I hate for it to be over. Poms get something wrapped in tissue paper, so they can open themselves.

Back to the list. Wrap it in anything. I love purple, but any color will do. Used paperback books are great. I found all of the books used on Amazon for a great  price. Most of them are on my WL at PBS and have been for some time, so I do not expect them to appear. I will take all off automatic send.

• Mayhem  (APA Mirage) by J. Robert Janes
  • Dying to Sin by Stephen Booth
  • The Kill Call by Stephen Booth
  • The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo
  • Forever by Pete Hamill--Audio cassette, unabridged
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America by Kenn Kaufman

Last Edited on: 11/12/10 7:09 AM ET - Total times edited: 3
amerigo avatar
Date Posted: 11/10/2010 10:21 AM ET

Squeaking in before the midnight cut-off date!  Whew!

Because of our work in the resort hotel industry, there have been many a Christmas in the past that we've had to celebrate on any day other that the 24th or 25th.  ( Hotels get busy over the holidays with vacationers!)   But now having two children to answer to has seen my husband in the past six years jockey for either day off to celebrate as a family. Yet that time did serve to teach us when were were a couple that it's not so much the actual day but the spirit of love and giving that matters above all.  I love this time of year! 

Here's my list. Used or new is fine with me:

The Queen of Last Hopes - Susan Higginbotham
The Stolen Crown - Susan Higginbotham
Hugh and Bess - Susan Higginbotham
The Traitor's Wife - Susan Higgginbotham

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici - C.W. Gortner

Brief Gaudy Hour - Margaret Campbell Barnes
My Lady of Cleves - Margaret Campbell Barnes
King's Fool - Margaret Campbell Barnes

The Tea Rose - Jennifer Donnelly
The Winter Rose - Jennifer Donnelly

bookzealot avatar
Date Posted: 11/10/2010 10:49 AM ET

Oh -- apologies for the confusion. You actually don't need to have your lists posted by midnight -- I just needed to know whether you wanted to participate by tonight. You can post your lists whenever -- but since you will receive your secret buddies sometime tomorrow or Fri, you should have your lists posted by Fri so that your Secret Santa will be able to start shopping for you. (Note to self: next year, make one deadline to avoid confusion!)

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/10/2010 11:36 AM ET

Hi!

Here's my list.  I prefer paperback but hardcover's are fine, as well. 

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici - CW Gortner

Absolution by Murder - Peter Tremayne

Pope Joan - Donna Cross

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

The Fort - Bernard Cornwell

A Place Beyond Courage - Elizabeth Chadwick

The Scarlet Contessa - Jeanne Kologridis

CR

Last Edited on: 11/11/10 12:24 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ALbookbugg avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/11/2010 1:09 PM ET

We celebrate Christmas in a pretty traditional red & green kind of way, with the ornaments the kid made in kindergarten on the tree. ;-)

This is the stuff that is currently in my cart at Amazon and is what I planned to buy for myself after Christmas. I'm happy with used copies, and I prefer to read trade-sized paperbacks, but all books don't come in trade paperbacks, of course. Several of the books on my list are old favorites that I've been dying to get in the new pretty editions. Feel free to buy a book that you also want to read and then read it before you send it! :-D

Here it is in book list form: http://www.paperbackswap.com/Wanted-2010/list/3448/?lid=3448

The World from Rough Stones by Malcolm MacDonald

Saga by Jeff Janoda

To Serve Them All My Days bu R.F. Delderfield

Rogue Herries by Hugh Walpole

Ben Retallick by E.V. Thompson

The Bones of Avalon by Phil Rickman

Naamah's Curse by Jaqueline Carey

The Prow Beast by Robert Low

The Candy Bombers by Andrei Cherney

Within the Fetterlock by Brian Wainwright

Hodd by Adam Thorpe

The Skin Map by Stephen Lawhead

Don't forget that if you go to Amazon from here, PBS will get a small bit of cash. Also, the Book depository always offers free shipping, no matter how many books you buy or how much you spend. Remaindered books are good too and I find a lot of wishlisted books at BookCloseouts.com.

Oh, if you want to write your name or a little note on that first blank page in the book, well, I love that!

DebKit avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/12/2010 8:44 AM ET

With only 1 "spot" left to protect on my WL, I am NOT even peeking at anyone else's list. I WON'T...I'll try not to...Hmmm...

Tough year for us so I'm not sure our usual traditions will apply. My husband has been desperately seeking employment for awhile now, finding work sometimes via a temp agency. Economic recovery is slow to come to VT! We have a traditional Christmas, not overtly religious but based on "the reason for the season." My kids are older; our 25-year old daughter is a 4th year med student, living in an apartment in our house and our 17-year old son, hunting what to do with his life and where to learn to do it! A sweet elkhound, a crazy beagle, a 7 lb adult cat and a live-forever leopard gecko round things out with my husband and myself.

As you all do,  I love to read. After much effort by the chiropracter, I am again able to cross-stitch and hope to produce either cross-stitched gifts with what I have on hand or patchwork pillows (a learning process for sure)! A lovely RAOK on the way is a pair of pinking shears to aid that endeavor! I love the home fragrance sage and citrus by Yankee Candle, eating substantialquantities of Lebkuchen at Christmas time (although it has never been tasted truly properly aged), and the beauty and peace of VT.  I am VERY excited to find and send someone a gift of their most wanted... Deb

My most-wanted list is as follows:

Murders and Other Confusions - Kathy Lynn Emerson
The Mystery of Things - Debra Murphy
City of God - Beverly Swerling
Daughters of the Grail - Elizabeth Chadwick
A Duty to the Dead - Charles Todd
Omid's Shadow - Hichkass Hamekass

KellyP avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/13/2010 8:58 AM ET

We celebrate a traditional Christmas and always have fun doing it! I love to cook, love to have my family around and decorate the house with a lovely mixture of antique and new Christmas decorations!

My list is long & distinguished ... and really, this is the creme de la creme ... anything from the WL Kelly & I share would be great ... used, new, paperback, hardback (with the single exception of Desiree) ... it's all good! 

Linda's List

• Desiree, Annemarie Selinko - only the new released paperback - ISBN 1402244029
  • Where Serpents Sleep, C.S. Harris
  • Rebellion of Jane Clarke, Sally Gunning
  • My Lord John, Georgette Heyer
  • Flood Tide, Cynthia Harrod- Eagles
  • Distant Hours, Kate Morton
  • Demon's Parchment, Jeri Westerson
  • Dead of Winter, Rennie Airth
  • Anna - Cynthia Harrod- Eagles
  • Memory of Lions, Parke Goodwin

So looking forward to meeting my Secret Santa ... isn't this a great time of year?!?

Linda

Last Edited on: 11/13/10 9:19 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Page: