From the Help Docs:
Glossary of Common Acronyms/Abbreviations
Acronyms/Abbreviations common on PBS:
- TBR = To Be Read (click the "show description" button on the TBR Pile page to read the full description of its purpose. The TBR Pile is in the dropdown menu under Book Lists on the right-hand side of your account page)
- UnPosted books = books not currently available to order; these books may be added to your Wish List.
- Posted books = books currently available to order.
- WL = Wish List. See What is the Wish List? for more information.
- RL = Reminder List. This is a list of the books you are considering ordering in future. See What is the Reminder List? for more information.
- BIR = Books I've Read List. This is a list of all the books you have already read.
- FIFO = "first in, first out". FIFO refers to the order in which books are requested at PBS. See What is FIFO? for more information.
- ISBN = International Standard Book Number, usually found on the back or inside front flyleaf of a book.
- ARC = Advanced Reader Copy (aka Uncorrected Proof, Review Copy); a preview copy of a book sent to reviewers in advance of a book's release; not the final copy of a book, and not permitted for swapping at PBS.
- BoB = Box-O-Books. This service allows members to swap books without credits! See What is Box-O-Books? for more information about this feature.
- Boxer = member subscribed to Box-O-Books.
- PM = Personal Message. You can read your PMs in your Message Center, by clicking Personal Message on the right-hand side of your account page.
- BX = BookCrossing. BookCrossing.com is a website unaffiliated with PBS. BX books often have stamps or stickers on them, with their BX registration numbers.
- UBS = Used Book Store
- USPS = United States Postal Service
- PBS-DC = PBS Delivery Confirmation. See What is PBS Delivery Confirmation? for more information about this feature.
- FOL = Friends of the Library, an organization which runs sales of decirculated library books.
- BCE = Book Club Edition. Book club editions are special printings of books that use cheaper materials and are slightly smaller in size than standard hardcovers. They're usually sent out via mail order book clubs, hence the name, and sometimes do not have ISBNS (if this is the case, they must be posted using the Post a Book without an ISBN feature). They are permitted for swapping at PBS.
- R&R - Richard and Robert, co-Founders of the PaperBackSwap site
Acronyms/Abbreviations common on the Internet in general:
- LOL = Laughing Out Loud
- ROFL = Rolling On the Floor Laughing
- ROFLMAO = Rolling On the Floor Laughing My A** Off
- BTW = By The Way
- OTOH = On The Other Hand
- ETA = Edited to Add. Used mainly on a forum post that has been edited, to explain why the editing was done.
- OT = Off-Topic
- OP = Original Poster (or Original Post). Used mainly in Discussion Forums, to refer to the post that started the topic OR the person who started the topic.
- ISO = In Search Of
- AFAIK = As Far As I Know
- YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
- IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
- NM = Never Mind
- KWIM = Know What I Mean?
- FWIW = For What It's Worth
- NP = No Problem
- BRB = Be Right Back
- HTH = Hope That (or "This") Helps
- TTFN = Ta-Ta For Now
- TTYL = Talk To You Later
- bump (as the lone word in a Forum post) = Bump Up My Post = empty post added to bring topic back to top of Forum topic list. This is permissible in Book Bazaar topics once per day per topic.